Senior Reporter – Community Care – Herne Hill
Description: Senior Reporter
Reports to: Editor
Community Care, the award-winning information service for social care professionals, is looking for an experienced journalist to join our talented team.
This role is an exciting opportunity to shape the news agenda on social work in England and Wales by bringing social workers and their managers critical information, insight and analysis around what matters to them at work: working conditions, practice challenges and what policy developments mean to them.
The successful candidate will bring a strong news sense, high-quality writing, analytical and investigative skills, the ability to get to grips with a news patch quickly and a desire to get to know what makes professionals in social work tick.
Community Care helps social workers stay up to date with the latest and most significant developments in practice, law and policy to help them to change lives for the better and flourish in their careers. We also support social work employers and leaders to recruit and retain high-quality practitioners and develop their staff to the best of their abilities.
We do this by providing practitioners and leaders with critical news and information through our communitycare.co.uk site; delivering expert-produced practice guidance through our subscription-based Community Care Inform Adults and Inform Children sites; supporting employers to recruit the right staff and practitioners to find the right opportunities through the Community Care Jobs recruitment site; and bringing the whole sector together to learn, debate and network at our annual Community Care Live event.
- Writing daily news on issues relating to social work including recruitment and retention, terms and conditions, staff wellbeing, regulation and policy.
- Delivering regular analyses and investigations into key developments in social work.
- Providing regular features and interviews showcasing examples of good practice and innovation in social work.
- Commissioning and editing pieces from social workers, managers and expert commentators, and cultivating and maintaining regular contributors.
- Taking responsibility for the delivery of daily and weekly emails to our audience.
- Managing Community Care’s corporate Twitter and Facebook accounts and using both to engage with social workers and social work commentators to maximum effect.
- Actively using social media (particularly Twitter) to source news and drive engagement to our content from our audience.
Skills, attitudes and experience required
- High-quality editorial skills including interviewing, fact-checking, the ability to write clear, engaging copy that needs little editing, copy editing, proofreading and a good design sense.
- A strong focus on readers and ensuring what we publish is useful and informative to them.
- A strong ability to build and manage contacts.
- Good investigative skills, including the ability to design surveys, analyse results and apply findings in written content.
- Being comfortable juggling and meeting multiple deadlines.
- Development focus: someone who loves learning and finding out new ways of delivering high-quality content.
- At least two years’ experience as a news journalist.
- An interest in social affairs and social policy.
Please apply with CV and covering letter to:
Mithran Samuel, Editor, Community Care