Online editor – Children & Young People Now - Herne Hill
CYP Now is a resource-rich, breaking news website, and monthly subscription-based magazine covering policy, practice and research on issues affecting vulnerable children, young people and families. Youth violence, children in care, mental health in schools and free childcare are just some of the issues covered regularly.
It is read by a wide range of professionals working with vulnerable children, with its target audience senior decision makers in local authorities and children’s charities.
In addition to its print and digital content, CYP Now runs conferences, debates and an annual Awards scheme. It is part of the Mark Allen Group, a media company based in south London that publishes more than 65 titles.
- Managing the daily news output for www.cypnow.co.uk, commissioning freelance writers, editing and writing copy and using a content management system
- Taking responsibility for the creation and delivery of daily and weekly e-bulletins to our audiences
- Actively using social media to source news and drive audience engagement
- Managing CYP Now's Twitter and Facebook accounts deepen audience engagement
- Working with the editor to devise and deliver regular analysis and investigations into key sector developments
- Sourcing original images and other media content to accompany online content
- To represent CYP Now at sector events and develop a strong relationship with key contacts
Skills, attitudes and experience
- High-quality editorial skills including interviewing, fact-checking, copy editing, proofreading, headline writing and a keen eye for design
- A strong ability to build and manage contacts
- Good investigative skills, including the ability to manage Freedom of Information requests, analyse results and present findings clearly
- Comfortable with working to tight deadlines
- An interest in social affairs and policy, and appreciation of how it affects vulnerable children and families
- NCTJ qualified, including shorthand
- Experience of interviewing senior decision makers including politicians
- Understanding of how to develop and use evergreen content to increase engagement
- A minimum of five years’ journalism experience preferred
Please apply with CV and covering letter to:
Derren Hayes, Editor, CYP Now firstname.lastname@example.org