Assistant Editor, Early Years Educator
Early Years Educator (eye) is an established and highly respected professional magazine for everyone in the early learning community - including early years and primary teachers, health professionals, nursery nurses, childminders, nursery business owners, academics and students. Its USP is a focus on research, theories and pedagogical thinking, presented in an engaging and accessible style. It also provides analysis of key policy and news developments each month, an overview of media coverage of the sector, and a centre practical supplement with ideas for working effectively with children within the early years curriculum, the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
The website was launched at the end of 2018 with a remit to provide news coverage, topical features to promote eye’s extensive archive - with an emphasis on practical activity articles - and to flag up content in the latest magazine. It also has a ‘Knowledge bank’ section which is a vehicle for sponsored content and special guides.
Overview of the role:
The individual will have the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills and responsibilities across print and digital, with the expectation that they will contribute to the development and success of both. After an initial period, the assistant editor will manage their own workflow and be pro-active in helping to ensure that processes run smoothly.
Someone with a passion for print and online journalism, with high editorial standards, and a self-starter who enjoys coming up with their own ideas. An interest in education and child development, with a desire to learn more about the sector, would be ideal.
- To assist the editor with commissioning, sourcing authors, formulating ideas and briefs
- Editing copy, cutting to fit, writing headlines, standfirsts and pull quotes to fit
- Picture research and choosing images for pages
- Submitting copy to studio designers and liaising with them on layouts
- Working in InDesign to amend pages - liaising with the studio on corrections
- Writing content for the magazine on the basis of own ideas, conducting interviews both on the phone and face-to-face
- Reading proofs
- Helping to ensure production is carried out to deadline
- Formatting monthly magazine content for the web
- Helping to generate flow of news stories
- Creating short features focused on particular areas of practice/national celebration weeks or months/events/reports/ as a vehicle to flag up ‘evergreen’ content
- Commissioning and writing ‘sponsored content’
- Writing longer features/analyses
- Developing social media strategy
Required to attend conferences and events
Applications: Please send CV and covering letter to the editor, firstname.lastname@example.org