Editor for leading healthcare journals
MA Healthcare is seeking an editor for two healthcare journals: the monthly Nursing and Residential Care and the quarterly Equipment Services Journal. These provide specialist news, opinion and clinical reviews for a professional readership. This is a highly independent and diverse role that involves overseeing the entire editorial process. Reporting to the editorial manager in the Secondary Care team, the editor is responsible for ensuring that content is of a high quality and is published to regular deadlines.
The editor’s daily responsibilities involve::
- Commissioning articles from authors
- Organising peer review
- Developing, subediting and proofreading manuscripts
- Sourcing illustrations and photographs
- Laying out and uploading pages.
Other occasional responsibilities include:
- Liaising with editorial boards
- Planning commercial growth
- Collaborating on other editorial projects.
Editors are required to have:
- A graduate-level degree or equivalent
- 6 months of editing experience
- (Preferably) familiarity with Adobe InDesign.
The essential skills of an editor are:
- Advanced literacy – able to write and edit clear and accurate English
- Attention to detail – able to identify factual and stylistic errors
- Communication – able to coordinate closely with authors, reviewers and colleagues
- Enthusiasm – able to engage with news and discussion in the healthcare sector
- Independence – able to take responsibility for complex projects and use initiative to solve problems
- Multi-tasking – able to simultaneously oversee every aspect of the editorial process
- Organisation – able to manage projects to consistently meet strict and regular deadlines.
You will work with a highly supportive editorial team in MA Healthcare’s south London headquarters. MA Healthcare is part of Mark Allen Group, a leading independent publisher with 30 years of experience in specialist nursing and healthcare journals. The company has built a strong reputation for delivering relevant and accessible information for discerning specialist readerships, whether they be in healthcare, education, business or music.
This position offers exciting rewards for a hard-working individual who is seeking a varied role with plenty of responsibility and independence, and wants to make a difference and develop their career.
To apply, send a CV and covering letter to Katina Toumba, HR Director, Mark Allen Group